Tuesday 10 June 2014

KINKY LOWDOWN with Sierra Cartwright


You can take 5 items/men to a fully catered desert island – what/who would you take?    J

Zow! Okay, I’m in…

One man: my future husband. Four toys: a flogger, the Hitatchi, clamps, and, ah, restraints. J We are assuming the fully catered includes margaritas and beer? Otherwise, I’ll trade in clamps and restraints for the beer and margs. ;)

C’mon, let’s go!

Do you have a favourite author(s)? Who is it/are they?
Oh, yes! JD Robb, Harlan Coben, Lee Childs, Lisa Gardner, Cherise Sinclair, Maya Banks, Sylvia Day… Auto buys for sure!

How did you start your writing career?
There hasn’t been a time that I didn’t write, honestly. I penned my first book at age nine. I started the school newspaper in elementary school. I wrote fan fic in high school. I wrote for the high school paper. I continued writing into early adulthood, writing ten books in ten years before finally selling to Harlequin/Silhouette. I ended up taking a hiatus after my divorce, and when I returned to writing, my tastes ran toward erotic romance. Fortunately epublishing was booming by then! I am very lucky!

Which character was the hardest to write and why? 
All of my characters are difficult to write, honestly. I spend a lot of time angsting over creating complex, emotionally rich, flawed, but (hopefully!) redeemable people. I draw on traits from people I know, but each character is unique. I wish I could say it’s easy, but it’s not. And it becomes more and more complicated with each book as I strive to raise the stakes on complicated characters.

Who’s your favourite character? And what would let him/her do to you in the Dungeon?
Okay, hands-down, Julien Bonds. I LOVE this guy. He doesn’t take himself seriously, but he takes everything he does very seriously, whether it’s creating something new, working, meddling in friends’ lives, or playing. I’m still writing the Bonds series, so I’m not sure, exactly, what Julien’s tastes are in the dungeon, but I will tell you a little secret…I’d let him do just about anything. I’m as adventurous as he is. So, Julien…? Bring it on!

If you write under an alias/Nome de plume, how do you deal with being addressed by that name?
I had the funniest experience! I was at the grocery store and the clerk gave me the receipt to sign. She said, can I get your autograph? Well, I signed my pen name! She was being funny and meant “signature.” But my autograph is different from my signature! LOL So I had to scratch it out and put my legal name on the receipt.
~LOL!! Ooops!~

What made you decide to pick an alias?
Because I had a bit of a following at Harlequin/Silhouette, I didn’t want to shock fans who picked up an erotic romance when they were expecting something different! I wanted to keep my more traditional stories separate from my spicy, push-the-boundaries books.

What was it about kink that made you choose the genre?
When I was at Harlequin/Silhouette, I wrote for the Desire line, so my books always had a certain flavour. I’ve never shied from writing sex scenes. So, for me, erotic romance was a natural extension. I still write emotional stories, but I love to push the bounds. I find that adding kink allows me to explore emotion in greater depth. I couldn’t be happier.

What extent do you go to, to research for what you write?
Well, I’m always happy to take one for the team. So, just for you, I’ll do plenty of research to be sure we have an authentic experience. J I won’t kiss and tell, but I’ll say that I enjoy my work.

If you weren’t an author, what would you have ended up doing?
I waited tables for five years and loved connecting with people. (Refilling the salt shakers? Not so much.) I also ran a small business in the automotive industry. We went from 100K a year in sales to nearly 3.3 million in a few years. That was a kick. Beyond that, I would have wanted to be a professional tennis player. (Turns out you need talent for that, though.)

Do you have any rituals/habits when you write?
Twizzlers and Jimmy Buffet.

What would be the weirdest one?
Those aren’t weird enough?

I do my best brainstorming in the shower. I used to think it was because the water soothed me, but it turns out I think it’s because I’m away from the computer and the phone. I’m able to totally let my brain go. So, uh, I’ve been known to take three showers a day when I’m writing hard. I can’t believe I admitted to that.

Is there anything on your current/upcoming release schedule?
I’m in the middle of the Bonds series for Totally Bound. And then, hang onto your hats! I have a trilogy planned that will be much longer, and deeper in scope!

Where are your books available?
I’m at all the distributors, including Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Stalker Links
@SierraWrites

instagram: SierraWrites

This was tons of fun…thanks!!



No comments:

Post a Comment