Friday 28 February 2014

AUTHOR LOWDOWN with Becca Lee



There’s a spaceship leaving Earth and you’re allowed to take a suitcase of essentials and five other items, what do you take?
My Kindle, a wind-up battery charger J, my BOB – hey, a woman needs a release!, a pack of cards and a machete – just in case I encounter any evil aliens!

Who is your favourite author?
I seriously don’t have ‘a’ favourite. I do love Laurell K. Hamilton though.

How did you start your writing career?
I’ve always loved reading and writing. I went to university and achieved my BA in Literature. I first started writing ten years ago, but was too chicken-shit to do anything about it. It got to the point this past Christmas that I finally spoke to my husband that I had a desire to write and publish a book – I have all these ideas floating around my head. He simply told me to go for it. So here I am.

Which character was the hardest to write and why? 
A Perfect Moment is my debut novel, set for release in April. To be honest, all of my characters roll easily off my fingers to my screen. I suppose my main character Ella is a little bit of a challenge. I didn’t want her to be me, even though there are some similarities. So ensuring she had a personality all of her very own has been a little bit challenging.

Inline image 1Why did you choose to write romance? Favourite style to write?
I write what I know and I love. I’ve been lucky in love so I selected this genre as my debut novel. Saying that, I have a piece of erotica forming in my brain, much to my husband’s delight. I also have the first 25k words of a paranormal romance going. Admittedly, paranormal romance is my favourite genre to read. I do need escapism and PNR does this for me.

If you weren’t an author, what would you have ended up doing?
Well, like most indie authors I work full-time. I’m a high school teacher. I suppose being a full-time author is my dream job.

Do you have any rituals/habits when you write?
When writing a passionate or highly emotive scene I rely on my playlist to give me some spark. I also like to have lie down and think time. Other than that, I write when I feel the need. Not necessarily the best idea since I’m edging closer to my editing deadline. Eek!

What would be the weirdest one?
In my ‘lie down and think’ time, I’ve been known to head out to the veranda, where it’s quiet and lie on our outside table. J

If you write under an alias/Nome de plume, how does it feel to have emails etc. addressed to your other name?
I do write under a super-secret alias – for a whole bunch of reasons. I do plan one day, to reveal my face, but right now isn’t the time. It does feel a bit strange. It’s also quite difficult, especially when flicking from one name to the other. It’s a quite nice and effective way to get into my writing head space though.

What is on your current and upcoming release schedule?
A Perfect Moment (#1 Perfect Series) is due for release April 2014
Changing Moon (my PNR) is due for release July 2014
A Perfect Love (#2 Perfect Series) is due for release December 2014

Where are your books available?
Facebook          Facebook Author Page          Goodreads          Twitter          Website



Thank you so much. J

Inline image 2

2 comments: