Wednesday 22 January 2014

On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street #1) by Samantha Young

On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1)

Synopsis:
Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…
Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.
Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.
But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.


Review:
Hmmmm.  Sexy.
Yep, sexy.

I have to say that I was more than a little trepidatious going into this novel.  It's literally been hit or miss with me lately and I'm due for another dud.  Thank God I've broken the curse... for now.  Seriously, I really loved this book.

Dialogue is key for a great read.  It's also something that authors struggle with a lot.  There are tons of books dedicated to helping writers surmount this very obstacle, an obstacle that can entirely make or break a novel.  I've read many books that have great narrative only to stumble into awkward dialogue, so when I see great dialogue I like to point it out.  Yes, this book has great dialogue.  Super duper fun dialogue.  It is ripe with witty banter and keen riposte.  It lives and breathes and exudes smoldering pillow talk.  Yikes, it rocks.

Now, without getting too much into plot, which for this novel is pretty straightforward, as plots go, I just want to touch on the characters for a bit.  Braden.  Hmmm.  Okay, so he's part alpha, part gooey, he's intense and enigmatic in a lot of respects, he's charismatic and broody but also hugely funny.  He's a pretty well rounded fellow actually.  I adored his banter with Jocelyn the most.  Also his adoration of his family and best friend.  Not so sure I liked his man-whoreishness but, hey, can't have everything.

Joss (Jocelyn), as screwed in the head as she was, was actually quite entertaining.  I loved her sharp wit and keen sensibilities.  Most of all, I like watching her unwitting evolution over the course of the novel.  I'm not sure I agreed with her methodology or decision making all of the time, but I guess I understood most of it.  Toward the end, however, it did feel a bit carried away and her inability to accept and acknowledge some truths was a bit unpalatable but all and all, she was a pretty solid character.

Secondary characters were also well developed, most specifically Ellie, Joss' flat-mate and Braden's sister.  There were others as well, Hannah, Adam, Elodie, Craig all of them added bright layers of color to this book.  To sum it up: yes, I will definitely read future installments and hope to re-read this book again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment