Tuesday 2 September 2014

REVIEW A Scarlet Fury (#2 World of Shadows) by Bridget Blackwood


Available on
Amazon | Kindle | iTunes | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Page Foundry | Scribd | Createspace

Add to TBR Goodreads


Synopsis
Book Two in the World of Shadows series


It has been almost a year since mankind became aware of the world in shadows. It's been an adjustment, but life goes on and most have learned to adapt. There are some on both sides that are not ready to let go of their plans. Madalaina Bonvillian believed nothing could harm her; she's the daughter of the former alpha and the sister of the current alpha, who would dare? After surviving a brutal attack, Madalaina must try to move forward, but where do you go when you feel like you've lost yourself?

Cleary Neil has kept his feelings for Madalaina to himself. He's been her friend, and now that's what she needs more than anything. The only problem is he can't shut off the part of himself that wants to protect his mate from the pain and confusion he sees in her.

Together they will go on an emotional journey to find out if love can heal all wounds. Time is of the essence, because enemies are gathering.


***A portion of the proceeds will be donated to RAINN.org, the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network to help survivors of sexual assault. RAINN is the nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization.***


World in Shadows reading order
1) Rising Shadows
1.5) Winter's Kiss
2) A Scarlet Fury


Review
Okay, just a quick recap of book one.
In Rising Shadows, we meet Rachel, Bastien, Nicholai, Madalaina, Cleary, Varian, Winter and a host of other non-humans and Therians (shifters).
The Richland Institute has been conducting tests on all kinds of beings and destroying many lives in the process. All this in the quest to rid the world of anyone not human. Ironically, by creating a supernaturally changed human. Go figure.
Rachel is the Arcana-wielding human who refuses to bow to the institutes desires.
Bastien is the son of the Therian's Alpha Prime and claims Rachel as his mate.
Nicholai is head of the Wraiths - Vampire super soldiers.
Varian is a crazy-ass vampire who unexpectedly falls in love (and you can't help but love his wit!)
Madalaina is Bastien's sister and Cleary is the only lion on the Therian council.

Following along? Fabulous!

When Rachel exposes the Richland Institute in the first book, the world becomes a changed place. Myths become reality and lies are exposed. As a result, Rachel is a target for the nutcases who escaped capture when the institute fell. Unfortunately, Madalaina is caught in the cross-fire and becomes involved in the depravity of the institute too.
Cleary is devastated when they finally find Rachel and Madalaina. He takes his broken and scarred 'Mads' home to be fixed. After the physical injuries are mended, Madalaina begins her journey of healing the mental and psychological scarring.

I really like that Bridget didn't rush Madalaina through her healing process and that she wasn't alone in it. Professional and group therapy helped more than just our heroine of this story, with others in the therapy group benefitting from Madalaina's presence.
I love that Cleary researched and read up on how he could help her, and what PTSD triggers might affect her. A more loving and patient partner you couldn't ask for here. He also checked on her from afar, never alerting her to his presence (also thanks to her other brother shooing him away!). But he never pushed the issue of Athan's protectiveness, knowing his presence may be a backward step for her to take.

Start from the beginning of this series if you haven't already as there's much more to come for the World in Shadows. Bridget writes from multiple POVs which is my favourite way to read. I love to be able to see the story from multiple angles. My first encounter with more than two POVs was Nalini Singh's writing and she got me hooked on it. The benefit of this style, is that you get to 'see' and 'hear' from characters who are likely to pop up in their own book in the future. I can't imagine A Scarlet Fury from only Madalaina's and Cleary's perspectives. You simply wouldn't get the scope you need for the series.
I am waiting with baited breath for the next book and will have to refrain from twiddling my thumbs until its release...much! It's hard not to be impatient when a series sucks you in like this one does, and you really don't want to be spat back out at the end :)
[Sidenote - I'm a sucker for sex in books as I know a lot of readers are. To be perfectly honest here, it took me a couple of days to realise I couldn't remember if there was any sex in these books. I actually had to think hard. I came to the conclusion that there probably was, but the story itself had me so engrossed in what was happening, that I didn't focus on anything else. Good job, Bridget!]


Author Bio
I'm a hopeless romantic and a sucker for love stories with a happy ending. I grew up in East Texas, where I met and married my high school sweetheart. Together we moved to Southern Illinois and have called it home for over a decade now.

The characters in my head are loud and bossy. I began writing down their stories in self defense. My first book, Rising Shadows, debuted on February 14, 2014, the first in a paranormal romance series called World in Shadows.

A social butterfly by nature, I love to talk. When I am not writing, I enjoys video games, going out for dinner so I don't have to cook, and laughing as much as possible. I am a big horror movie junkie, I watch gobs of them. I have an addiction to eye shadow, crazy hair colors, tattoos, and glitter.

At home, I'm a wife and mother of three children, Blackwood Boy, Ballerina Blackwood, and Bitsy Blackwood. I also claim my fur babies; a pug, a boxer, and four cats bent on world domination



No comments:

Post a Comment