Friday 9 May 2014

AUTHOR LOWDOWN with Lynn Red



You can take 5 items/men to a fully catered desert island – what/who would you take?     J
Jason Momoa, Joe Manganiello, a giant TV, a Playstation 4, and a bike-pedal-generator with two bikes. Guess who is going to be doing the pedaling? :)

Do you have a favourite author? Who is it/are they?
Celia Kyle. Her books are great, but personally she's a huge inspiration to me. We write together in a chatroom most days. A group of us sits around and challenges each other to writing sprints - basically just see how many words you can churn out in a half hour - and then we take a little BS break. She's got this work ethic that never dies, and is constantly positive and encouraging. So yeah, she's awesome. As far as people whose books I love, it's a pretty widely varied list - Molly Harper, Stephen King, Queen Nora, all other other regulars on lists like this.

How did you start your writing career?
I started writing by, basically, tapping out short stories in between classes. I used to teach at a university - more on that later - and in between classes, meetings, office hours or whatever else - I'd just write. At first it was just to fill time in between appointments, but then I realized that some of the stories I was producing were pretty okay. The whole Kindle thing was just starting to happen then, so I had a few people read through them, made some edits, and threw them up on the store. The first time someone ACTUALLY PAID MONEY for a copy of something I wrote kind of blew my mind.

If you write under an alias/Nome de plume, how do you deal with being addressed by that name?
I don't remember the pen name thing ever being particularly strange. Then again, I am -very much- Lynn so I'm comfortable. Oh - funny story about that actually. When I first started getting royalties, since some companies will only pay by check, they were getting delivered. Only they weren't. The checks weren't coming, but a couple of companies swore up and down they were sending the checks. Turns out, the postman was sending them all back, since he didn't know who Lynn Red was. Oops!

How would you classify the genre you write? Why did you choose that genre?
I write romance because you can write a hell of a lot of other things, and still be writing "romance". My books tend to have mystery elements, humor, crime, and fantasy elements along with a great romance that carries the plot forward. But I also write it because I like READING it! Makes it a lot easier, I think :)

If you weren’t an author, what would you have ended up doing?
I've had ... a lot of jobs. I taught high school and college history, I've been a 911 dispatcher, I've even been a parole officer! Before I switched to writing full-time, I taught history at a university, so I'd still be doing that if not for the writing. This way it's a lot easier - I don't have to go anywhere except the gym a few times a week, so I can take my long walks, hang out with the baby, and post obnoxious videos to YouTube instead of working!

Do you have any rituals/habits when you write?
Rituals and habits - Not really anything hard and fast. I come into my office, get my jug of water, my coffee, open the windows and go at it. I guess about the only real ritual I have is that I take long, meandering walks a couple times a day, as much to clear my head and get out of the house as they are for exercise. I live in one of those neighborhoods where people walk all the time, so there's usually someone to talk to, which is nice.

What is on your current and upcoming release schedule?
Oh man. I put out a novel a month, and sometimes more if the stars align. The series I'm currently working on is my Jamesburg Shifters series (To Catch a Wolf; Bearing It All) which will probably have a third installment by the time this is posted. This is a series of standalone books that takes place in a very peculiar town where everyone is some sort of shifter, or witch, or witchdoctor, or... you get the idea. It's a wonderfully fun series to write, and people seem to be responding well to the books!

Where are your books available?
Books are available everywhere that'll have me - Amazon, B&N, Kobo, All Romance, BookStrand, Google Play, Apple, Smashwords. I think that's it. 


Stalker Links
Facebook          Newsletter          Website


No comments:

Post a Comment